Monday, June 13, 2011

To the Tunes of...

This past weekend was a good one for musical entertainment. Friday night I accompanied a friend and a couple of uber-excited high school kids to a Skatalites show in Ventura.

Okay actually my friend was the uber-excited one. I was stoked to tag along and hear some new music. And the In & Out Burger en route was good, too.

Really glad that I went as the music was top notch. My first time hearing the band (I think my first time hearing ska at ALL...so sorry "going to college in the 90s"...I was on a somewhat regrettable music bender at that time).

Saturday night I went to a Peter Gabriel concert at the Santa Barbara bowl.

Oh. My.

To say that the experience was incredible would be more than an understatement...perhaps by a few orders of magnitude. I've listened, practically fed on, Peter Gabriel songs for the past 16 years and they've always had their places in steady rotation on my "favorites" playlist.

Gabriel was playing with an orchestra rather than his "usual" band and I thought that I wouldn't feel the same connection to the music. I can't even say "in spite of that"...because the experience was so great, the music so deep, the visuals and performances so engaging...can't imagine it being any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment