Monday, May 23, 2011

A Friend's Passing


Yesterday we had a memorial service for Brandon - a friend I met about 4 or so years ago when he was homeless in Santa Barbara. Brandon had some serious issues but, through the years, made some great decisions and ended up getting sober, finding work, reconnecting with his family and falling in love. I hadn't seen him since I moved back to town last summer but we were planning to connect about the time when I got the call that he died.

Even when he was spun out in a bad space Brandon exuded care and interest in others. He was funny, intelligent and incredibly caring. Listening to everyone's stories of him made me realize how much of an impact someone can have...even if that person is a societal "castoff".

We've had friends from the streets die before. This is a tough one...been wrestling with the feeling that it seems that a sense of hope died along with him.

Still - I am so glad that he died when he was on top...surrounded by friends and loved ones and in the best space of his life.

Rest well, Brandon...

1 comment: