Monday, October 5, 2009

Walking in a Winter WTF

So I don't live in California anymore. Let me be more specific: I don't live on the Central Coast of California anymore where "winter" means that you have to start wearing socks and the surf is going to get better. And it will rain.

I live in Montana where people have told me - and I'm not making this up - that they start to feel happy when it FINALLY gets below freezing. I had a colleague tell me that she LOVES the feel of -20 degrees. Freak.

Yesterday morning I woke up with a (deserved but unwanted) bitchin hangover and the realization that the weather wasn't going to make me feel better. Easterly wind (strong) and already snowing.

So I contemplated a day of sitting on the couch and hiding from the weather. A friend called and asked if I wanted to go grouse hunting. So I did.
The irony here is that I was prepared to complain about the weather all day but, instead, went out and walked several miles in the mountains IN the weather. Only flushed one bird but had a great time. The sweat and cold air was the perfect remedy for my hangover and I totally punched the oncoming Winter in the face.

Put that one down in the "win" column.

No comments:

Post a Comment